Quick Facts about Glencairn Museum
The Academy of the New Church Museum was founded in 1878. The Academy Museum collections and the Pitcairn art collections were combined, and Glencairn Museum opened to the public in 1981.
Glencairn Museum, The Academy of the New Church
Origin of Name
"Glencairn" is a combination of the surnames of Raymond Pitcairn and Mildred Glenn Pitcairn.
1001 Cathedral Road, Bryn Athyn, PA 19009. 30 minutes northeast of Center City Philadelphia.
Approximately 8,000 objects
Glencairn Museum consists of 90 rooms on 11 floors over 42,000 square feet. Glencairn is adjacent to both Cairnwood (the original home of the John and Gertrude Pitcairn, Raymond's parents), and the historic Bryn Athyn Cathedral.
11th century stained glass from the Abbey of St. Denis - examples of some of the earliest stained glass panels ever created.
The fifth-floor chapel, with its ceiling mosaic depicting a scene from the Biblical Book of Revelation.
Life-sized statue of the goddess Minerva-Victoria in the Roman and Early Christian gallery.
The Great Hall: the five-story high former living room of the house, featuring medieval furniture and sculpture and stained glass built into the structure.