Glencairn Museum hosts popular holiday programs Nov. 24-Jan. 7
Events include World Nativities and Do You See What I See? exhibitions, ‘Christmas at Glencairn’ guided tour, Christmas Sing and more
BRYN ATHYN, MONTGOMERY CO, PA (5 September 2017)
WHAT: Annual Christmas at Glencairn holiday celebration, an impressive array of programs, tours & exhibitions presenting a unique experience of the wonder, beauty and joy of the Christmas story to entertain, sooth, enrich, delight and inspire those of all ages
WHEN: Fri, Nov. 24 through Sun, Jan. 7. Specific times: see below. Closed Dec. 11, 12, 24 & 25.
WHERE: Glencairn Museum, 1001 Cathedral Rd, Bryn Athyn 19009
WHO: All ages, including youngest children under adult supervision. Strollers & backpack child carriers are prohibited and wheelchairs cannot be accommodated beyond the first floor.
HOW: For the public: for more information on the exhibitions or other events, 267.502.2990 or GlencairnMuseum.org. To register for the “Christmas in the Castle” tour, the ornament workshop or the Christmas Sing concert, 267.502.2990. To inquire about the Homeschool Day, 267.502.2995. Media: see contacts below.
- World Nativities exhibition, dozens unique curated scenes depicting the Christmas story from the viewpoint of artists & cultures around the world. Daily 12-4:30pm. Nov. 24-Jan. 7. Closed Dec. 11, 12, 24 & 25. Sugg. donation $5pp for self-guided tour. GlencairnMuseum.org or 267.502.2990.
- Do You See What I See? Imagery in Nativity Scenes exhibition, exploring the meaning behind artistic representations of the Christmas story and featuring rare and unusual depictions in decorations, published illustrations, advertising, cards and more from the collections of Glencairn and the National Christmas Center and Museum in Lancaster, PA. Daily 12-4:30pm, as above.
- Christmas in the Castle guided tour at Glencairn Museum. Guided 45-minute tour shows how Christmas was celebrated at Glencairn when it was the private home of the Raymond and Mildred Pitcairn family (1939 to 1979). M-F 1:30 & 2:30pm; Sat & Sun 1:00, 1:30 & 2:30pm, dates as above. $12 adults, $10 65+/students, half price Basic Museum members, free for Gold and Patron members and children 3 & under. Reservations strongly recommended for individuals & groups: 267.502.2990.
- Homeschool Day Open House, a “field trip” experience for families, includes craft project, exclusive access to holiday exhibitions, popular Nativity Quest activity & the view from the Tower. Wed, Dec. 6, 9:30am-12:30pm. $5pp, free for children 3 & under. No reservation needed. Additional info: 267.502.2995.
- Scandinavian Christmas Tree Ornaments workshop. Learn how to use wheat sheaves and ages-old techniques to create a holiday ornament for your home. For ages 12 and up. Sat, Dec. 9, 10:00-1:00. $20 adults, $12 seniors/students; information & to register: 267.502.2990.
- Christmas Sing concert, continuing the Pitcairn family’s personal tradition of music during the holidays, presented in the Great Hall. 8:00pm Tues, Dec. 12, in Great Hall (doors open 7:15pm). $10, free for Museum members. Seating limited, sells out quickly. Tickets available beginning October 12: 267.502.2990.
MEDIA CONTACT: Joralyn Glenn, Marketing & Public Relations
firstname.lastname@example.org, c: 215.740.8722 o: 267.502.2987
GLENCAIRN MUSEUM, a National Historic Landmark and part of the Bryn Athyn Historic District (including Cairnwood, built 1892-95, and Bryn Athyn Cathedral, 1913-19), houses a collection of religious art and artifacts from around the world and serves as a museum of the history of religion. Glencairn itself, built in the Romanesque style between 1928 and 1939 by Raymond and Mildred Pitcairn for their family’s home, was given to the Academy of the New Church in 1980 after Mildred Pitcairn’s death. A treasure now open to the public, Glencairn Museum offers tours of its tower and 6 floors depicting world religious history as well as a glimpse into the family’s personal life, exhibitions, workshops, concerts, seasonal programs and its popular annual “Christmas in the Castle” tour featuring outstanding examples of Nativity art. For more on the Museum or becoming a member: 267.502.2600, info@GlencairnMuseum.org or www.GlencairnMuseum.org.